Three village in the region were caught up in the suppression of the Vaudois in the Luberon in the 16th Century.
In Mérindol : the "Musée de la Muse" retraces the story og this suppression. Above the village are the ruins of the castle and magnificent views over the Durance valley and the southern slopes of the Petit Luberon.
In Oppède-Le-Vieux : Ruins of the castle of Baron Meynier d'Oppède, Président of the parliament of Provence. In 1545, François 1st gave him the task of organizing the massacre of the Vaudois and exterminating their villages with the Merindol Decree (1540).
Cabrières d’Avignon : In this villageon on the southern slopes of the Vaucluse Mountains, the last remaining Vaudois hunted down during the 5 savage days in 1545 c ame to seek refuge in the château de Cabrières, led by Eustache Marron, head of the Vaudois resistance. The château was taken on 20 April 1545 and, in 5 days, 11 villages were destroyed, 2700 people killed (men, women and children) and over 600 men sent to the galleys in Marseille.
The castles of Oppède-Le-Vieux and Cabrières d'Avignon do not visit.