At the crossroads between the Monts de Vaucluse and the Luberon
Situated in the heart of drystone country in the Monts de Vaucluse, Cabrières d’Avignon has kept its genuine looks. Its narrow lanes bordered by drystone walls lead to the 11 century castle, witness to the Waldenses’ extermination in 1545. The castle is not open to the public. A cedar tree forest planted in 1860 provides a wooded landscape and a refreshing atmosphere to the walker.
Because of the so-called plague of Marseille, a great majority of the population died in Provence. A drystone wall, 27 km long and 2 m high, was built to protect the Comtat Venaissin. Only 6 km remain between Cabrières d’Avignon and Lagnes.